Preparing for your surgery
Thank you for choosing MedCentral Health System for your surgical procedure. We realize that for you and your family, no surgery is minor, and we hope to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Please talk to any of our staff members if have any questions or concerns.
If you have any questions about your upcoming surgery, please feel free to call us between 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. at 419-526-8359.
Please follow these instructions; your cooperation is very important:
- It's best if you are evaluated by the nursing and anesthesia staff before the day of surgery. If the surgeon's office has not scheduled you for a pre-operation visit, please call our pre-surgical testing line between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. at 419-520-2317; or 419-520-2309.
- If you develop any symptoms of a cold, flu or infection before surgery, please call the Department of Outpatient Surgery between 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. at 419-526-8359.
- Bathe or shower the evening before or the day of surgery. Do not apply any dusting powder, cologne, perfume or makeup. Remove all nail polish. You may apply deodorant.
- Do not eat or drink anything (including, water, gum, mints or cough drops) after midnight the night before surgery, unless otherwise instructed by your surgeon or pre-admission nurse. Brush your teeth, but don't swallow any water.
- If you are on heart, blood pressure or oral diabetes medication, please take it as prescribed with a sip of water only the morning of your surgery. If you are on insulin, do not take it unless instructed to do so by your surgeon, anesthesiologist or outpatient nurse. If you use inhalers, please bring them with you the day of your surgery.
- Remove all jewelry (including body piercings) and hairpins. You may wear a wedding band if you are not having surgery on that arm or hand. Before surgery, you will be asked to remove any dentures, partial plates, eyeglasses or contact lenses.
- For children who are having surgery, please bring a security item or two (stuffed animal, blanket, pacifier). If your child uses a special drinking cup or bottle, please bring that as well, along with formula for infants. Make sure your child follows eating and drinking guidelines.
- If you haven't already given a list of all medications and dosages you have been taking to the admitting nurse, please bring a list the day of your procedure. Be sure to include any herbal or over-the-counter medications.
- The day of your surgery, wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes. Don't forget a case for your glasses or contact lenses. Do not bring any valuables (cash, credit cards, etc.).
- We will give you a hospital gown, robe and slippers when you arrive. If you are going to be staying for a couple days after your surgery and want your own things, pack only what you need for the first day of your hospital stay (i.e. robe, slippers, toiletries). Please leave these items in your car; your family can bring them to you after your surgery.
- Some patients need to stay in the hospital to recover, while others are able to go home in a relatively short time. Your doctor will decide what is best for you.
- Space in the hospital is limited, so for outpatients, no more than two visitors age 15 or older will be permitted at the bedside. There is ample space in our surgical waiting room for others. No visitors are allowed in the operating room or post-anesthesia care unit.
- You will not be able to drive home after your surgery. For your safety, please arrange to have a responsible adult available to take you home.
Where To Go
The main lobby entrance is on the second floor. Go down to the first floor and follow the signs to Outpatient Surgery. A receptionist is there to direct you.
Map to Mansfield Hospital
Last updated January 20, 2012